Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Runner's Trail

Our new site is finished!!!! Go check it out at http://www.traxck.com

Runner's Trail

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Track and XC runners

Visit http://www.traxck.com our new home!!!!

+19
TnF_T
Wow
NotChangingUntilSub5
Just Because
T B K
P2
CT Track
RUNxxWILD07
Running With Scissors
BagoXC25
FinishingKick
BA_Sadie.
hxc
AudienceOfOne
futureNIKErunner
runner_dude
funrunner
Pinthin
Trackaholic
23 posters

Brian Sell-Talent or Hard work?

BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

Brian Sell-Talent or Hard work? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Sell-Talent or Hard work?

Post by BagoXC25 Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm not that good. Yet. I did plyo work 6 times a week for 9 years during my trampoline training. If every 6 year old was forced to do this then I'm sure their bodies would be as strong and as adaptable as mine. Some people aren't just born strong, but they are made strong. And I completely agree with the "born with 60% ft die with 60% ft muscles" thing. And what I was saying was that if you aren't amazing at 5k, that doesn't mean you aren't as talented as the rest of the 5ker's, you just aren't running the right race.

I understand all of your viewpoints, I really do, but I just can't concede to the fact that some people are born better than others. Call me an optimist, but I just don't think it is right to sell someoene short right off of the bat.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 5377
    Class : 2011
    3200m Time : 10:17
    Registration date : 2008-05-24

Brian Sell-Talent or Hard work? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Sell-Talent or Hard work?

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm

BagoXC25 wrote:I'm not that good. Yet. I did plyo work 6 times a week for 9 years during my trampoline training. If every 6 year old was forced to do this then I'm sure their bodies would be as strong and as adaptable as mine. Some people aren't just born strong, but they are made strong. And I completely agree with the "born with 60% ft die with 60% ft muscles" thing. And what I was saying was that if you aren't amazing at 5k, that doesn't mean you aren't as talented as the rest of the 5ker's, you just aren't running the right race.

I understand all of your viewpoints, I really do, but I just can't concede to the fact that some people are born better than others. Call me an optimist, but I just don't think it is right to sell someoene short right off of the bat.
    but that's how it goes bud. just wait till ryan and sara hall have a baby and you'll see.
    runner_dude
    runner_dude
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1524
    Mile Time : 4:52
    Class : University Freshman
    Registration date : 2008-06-05

Post by runner_dude Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:04 pm

RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

not neccesarily, just because you run high mileage doesnt make you a good runner. I speak to a college XC runner alot and he says there are people running 120+ mpw and getting their asses kicked by guys running 60-70 range.

high mileage does not undisputably equal fast times. trust me.

+3413421541
    i think it can equal fast times. if you are doing the miles right. if you are just doing crap miles to raise your mileage, then no, prolly wont help.

headbang2 EVERY mile you do as long as you're not walking will help you. Granted, some miles will help more than others, but in the end they all help. Lydiard advocated running 100+mpw, IN ADDITION to 'jogging' as much as possible. Lassie Viren, a man who took Lydiards ideas to the extreme won 4 gold medals, and is the only person to win the 5000m gold 2 olympic games in a row.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by FinishingKick Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 pm

runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

not neccesarily, just because you run high mileage doesnt make you a good runner. I speak to a college XC runner alot and he says there are people running 120+ mpw and getting their asses kicked by guys running 60-70 range.

+3413421541
    i think it can equal fast times. if you are doing the miles right. if you are just doing crap miles to raise your mileage, then no, prolly wont help.

headbang2 EVERY mile you do as long as you're not walking will help you. Granted, some miles will help more than others, but in the end they all help. Lydiard advocated running 100+mpw, IN ADDITION to 'jogging' as much as possible. Lassie Viren, a man who took Lydiards ideas to the extreme won 4 gold medals, and is the only person to win the 5000m gold 2 olympic games in a row.
    He also blood doped.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:15 pm

runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

you forgot to mention the blood doping.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:15 pm

FK wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

He also blood doped.
    i swear that we are freakin related.
    FinishingKick
    FinishingKick
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 4773
    Class : Sophomore
    800m Time : 2:10
    5000m XC Time : 17:29
    1000m Time : 2:50

Post by FinishingKick Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:20 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    FK wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

He also blood doped.
    i swear that we are freakin related.
    Lol
    Trackaholic
    Trackaholic
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 422
    Registration date : 2008-05-23

Post by Trackaholic Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:40 pm

runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

both lydiard and you are disregarding the lactate threshold or jack daniels training principle #7 of diminishing return which I will explain in brief:

1) Lactate Threshold: Arguably the only way to get better at distance running, rasing the level of effort it takes to elicit the lactate threshold is almost an exact measurement of athletic capability for running. The down side, "junk miles, jogging, and lsd will NOT raise your lactate threshold. only increase your endurance and burn fat. Note that by endurance I do not mean speed endurance, I mean endurance on long runs, the ability to cover greater mileage without rest. Seeing as a 5k is only 3.1 miles, this endurance is hardly ever called upon and therefore not neccesarily needed to a great extent. So in result, doing lots of mileage will NOT make you faster at a 5k. For marathoning and ultra marathoning, its a different story.

TL;Dr version: Lactate threshold cannot be increased by LSD, Lactate threshold needs to be increased to go faster, therefore, running high mileage will not make you faster in a 5k. Lsd only builds endurance, and seeing as a 5k is only 3.1 miles, you do not need that much endurance.

2) Diminishing return, Daniels training principle #7
    Say you start running at 40mpw, and you get 20% better.
    this does not mean running 80mpw will make you 40% better.

The higher the mileage, the less improvement from that mileage is seen.

40 mpw= improved 20%
    80 mpw= improved 10%
    90 mpw= 5%
    110 mpw= 2%

total percentage of improvement= 37%
    Also, the rate of setbacks (injuries and lack of motivation) increases DRAMATICALLY with increase in mileage:

40mpw= 10% chance of setbacks
    80mpw= 50% chance of setbacks
    90 mpw= 70% chance of setbacks
    110 mpw= 85% chance of setbacks.

Instead of just STATING running lots of mileage is good and quoting an outdated running coach, why dont you EXPLAIN to me why running high mileage improves performance?
    BagoXC25
    BagoXC25
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 364

Post by BagoXC25 Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:11 am

^^Absolutely agree with that.
    CT Track
    CT Track
    All-Pro
    All-Pro

Number of posts : 774
    Mile Time : 2012
    Class : 15:32
    Registration date : 2008-07-14

Post by CT Track Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:21 pm

He's got some talent, but I'll attribute it to a hell of a lot more hard work. Brian Sell comes from a small school near mine that gets almost no attention towards track and field, and doesn't have the same facilities or coaching as other high teir programs. He worked his ass off those four years and decided he wanted to continue his hardwork and it really paid off.
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1376
    Mile Time : Used Bicycle
    Class : Dyestat....BAHAHAHAHA

Post by P2 Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Trackaholic wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

both lydiard and you are disregarding the lactate threshold or jack daniels training principle #7 of diminishing return which I will explain in brief:

1) Lactate Threshold: Arguably the only way to get better at distance running, rasing the level of effort it takes to elicit the lactate threshold is almost an exact measurement of athletic capability for running. The down side, "junk miles, jogging, and lsd will NOT raise your lactate threshold. only increase your endurance and burn fat. Note that by endurance I do not mean speed endurance, I mean endurance on long runs, the ability to cover greater mileage without rest. Seeing as a 5k is only 3.1 miles, this endurance is hardly ever called upon and therefore not neccesarily needed to a great extent. So in result, doing lots of mileage will NOT make you faster at a 5k. For marathoning and ultra marathoning, its a different story.

TL;Dr version: Lactate threshold cannot be increased by LSD, Lactate threshold needs to be increased to go faster, therefore, running high mileage will not make you faster in a 5k. Lsd only builds endurance, and seeing as a 5k is only 3.1 miles, you do not need that much endurance.

40 mpw= improved 20%
    80 mpw= improved 10%
    90 mpw= 5%
    110 mpw= 2%

Also, the rate of setbacks (injuries and lack of motivation) increases DRAMATICALLY with increase in mileage:

Instead of just STATING running lots of mileage is good and quoting an outdated running coach, why dont you EXPLAIN to me why running high mileage improves performance?
    if it werent for all your advice i wouldve quit running a long time ago.
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Post by P2 Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm

so wait....my goal is to get into the 17s this year..thats not off of talent guys. my very first mile was in sixth grade off no training and i got a dinky 7.34. you call that talent? i believe that putting myself in the 17s in 5k in 8th grade would very much set me up for a good elite running career and now you guys are saying that it wont? german ran a much faster one at my age but has he improved much? hard work > talent.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm

P2 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

40 mpw= improved 20%
    80 mpw= improved 10%
    90 mpw= 5%
    110 mpw= 2%

uhhhh, why? i don't see how tracko's advice has a difference in if you quit or not...
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:36 pm

P2 wrote:so wait....my goal is to get into the 17s this year..thats not off of talent guys. my very first mile was in sixth grade off no training and i got a dinky 7.34. you call that talent? i believe that putting myself in the 17s in 5k in 8th grade would very much set me up for a good elite running career and now you guys are saying that it wont? german ran a much faster one at my age but has he improved much? hard work > talent.
    yes i do call it talent. 7:34 in 6th grade off of no training? pretty decent.
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Post by P2 Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:44 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    P2 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:
    runner_dude wrote:
    RUNxxWILD07 wrote:
    Trackaholic wrote:

+3413421541

40 mpw= improved 20%
    80 mpw= improved 10%
    90 mpw= 5%
    110 mpw= 2%

uhhhh, why? i don't see how tracko's advice has a difference in if you quit or not...
    when i hit plateus his advice helps me a lot. and plus i would be a lot worse without his info. im competitive so if i still sucked id have quitted by now.
    P2
    P2
    Elite
    Elite

Post by P2 Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:45 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    P2 wrote:so wait....my goal is to get into the 17s this year..thats not off of talent guys. my very first mile was in sixth grade off no training and i got a dinky 7.34. you call that talent? i believe that putting myself in the 17s in 5k in 8th grade would very much set me up for a good elite running career and now you guys are saying that it wont? german ran a much faster one at my age but has he improved much? hard work > talent.
    thats completely awful?
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:49 pm

P2 wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    thats completely awful?
    in 6th grade after no training? no. that's what most people would get. i love it how everybody acts like they have zero natural talent and everything they've ever accomplished is because of hard work.

in the immortal words of sPine, " saying that you got to where you are just because you work hard is just another form of self-gratification."

you're gonna be a good runner, but you still have talent.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Number of posts : 1667
    Mile Time : 5:39
    Class : 2013
    800m Time : 2:38
    5000m XC Time : 20:18
    Registration date : 2008-06-29

Post by T B K Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:10 pm

I ran a 7:30 mile in 5th grade, off no training. Am I fast? Hell no.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:14 pm

T B K wrote:I ran a 7:30 mile in 5th grade, off no training. Am I fast? Hell no.
    you're decent.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Post by T B K Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:15 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    T B K wrote:I ran a 7:30 mile in 5th grade, off no training. Am I fast? Hell no.
    you're decent.

Not where I live.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:19 pm

T B K wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    you're decent.

Not where I live.
    for your age your decent.
    T B K
    T B K
    Elite
    Elite

Post by T B K Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:36 pm

AudienceOfOne wrote:
    T B K wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    you're decent.

Not where I live.

For me decent is bad. If you're not the greatest, then you are decent. If you are decent you are bad. In my mind at least.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:03 pm

T B K wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    T B K wrote:
    AudienceOfOne wrote:
    you're decent.

Not where I live.

For me decent is bad. If you're not the greatest, then you are decent. If you are decent you are bad. In my mind at least.
    lol. dude quit acting like your elitist or something.
    Just Because
    Just Because
    Pro
    Pro

Number of posts : 496

Post by Just Because Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 pm

I do not believe that people are born leaps and bounds better then other people.
    I believe that becoming good is:
    "95% training and hard work"
    5% genetics

Just because you have genetics doesn't mean you are good. It means that you have more potential to be good, but you have to put the work in too.
    AudienceOfOne
    AudienceOfOne
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AudienceOfOne Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Just Because wrote:I do not believe that people are born leaps and bounds better then other people.
    I believe that becoming good is:
    "95% training and hard work"
    5% genetics

Just because you have genetics doesn't mean you are good. It means that you have more potential to be good, but you have to put the work in too.
    you actually believe that a guy like el g got to where he was because of only 5% genetics?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:57 am